Wednesday, April 2, 2008

April Fools'

The first surprise here: this is what we had for dinner. The second surprise: there's no sugar in these cupcakes and my kids loved them anyway.
Imagine the shock when I served cupcakes for dinner and it got even better when Ben put ketchup on his. I told Emma she could taste the frosting. She looked up at me and said - "hey, this tastes like food". APRIL FOOLS' - no cupcakes here - meatloaf and mashed potatoes, Mmmmmm.
It was a fun little surprise and incredibly easy.
We'll do this again on another silly day.
RECIPE:
Meat Loaf
1 pound lean ground beek
1 packed Lipton golden onion soup mix
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
3 T ketchup
1 T worcestershire sauce
1 egg
Potato Frosting
3 cups mashed potatoes (instant is easiest)
Food coloring

Heat the oven to 375. Line muffin tin with 12 foil bake cups.
In a large bowl, mix together all meatloaf ingredients until well combined. Divide the mixture evenly among the lined cups. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until cooked through.

Divide the mashed potatoes among three small bowls and stir a few drops of food coloring into each batch. Spread a generous dollop on each cupcake.
Round it out with some mixed vegetables and enjoy.

8 comments:

Emily said...

I was going to try something like this, but got too lazy. I will have to try your recipe next year.

Michelle said...

Okay, so I wasn't really getting it when you explained it to me tues. night! HAA! Funny, very creative! Nice work!

Kelly said...

What a great idea Amy! The girls must have loved it. I am with Ben all the way - Ketchup rocks!!!

Lindsay R. said...

What a good mom you are! I am going to save your recipe and try it next year.

Amye Kay said...

Ok, that is the BEST idea! And the snow people Ben made are amazing. Isn't it sweet how just spending a little extra time with our kids and they feel like they have had the best day of their life!

Autumn said...

Ok you are a regular Martha Stewart! Those are awesome! I am so doing this next year! What a great mom you are!

Julie said...

Those are so cool. I will have to try and pull those off next year. Although Jonah watched my every move when I pull out the cupcake pan....he thinks he will get a lick, I bet he'd be confused.
What a great idea.

Teri said...

That is such a super great idea! I'm going to try that. I copied the recipe, I'm glad that you put it on here. It will be fun to do!